I learned about this Muslim-influenced Thai curry made with chicken potatoes, and peanuts. Thankfully I got the timing right so that the potatoes were soft but not mushy, the chicken cooked through but moist, the peanuts still crunchy, and the tomatoes just falling apart. Except I didn’t have plum tomatoes so I used my (ridiculously good) pearl tomatoes eighthed instead.
I’m growing fond making curry from scratch! I’ve got a big spice pantry to consume now anyway.
Recipe from foodandwine.com
- Saute 1 onion diced.
- Add 2 cloves garlic minced, 1/2″
ginger chopped, 1 tsp five-spice, 1 tsp cumin, 1/4 tsp cayenne, 1/4 tsp turmeric, 1/2 tsp salt.
- 1 cup chicken stock, 1/2 cup coconut milk.
- Add 1/2 lb potatoes, peeled and cubed, simmer for 12 minutes.
- Add 1.5 lb chicken breasts, simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add 1/2 cup chopped peanuts, 1/2 lb plum tomatoes, 3 tbsp cilantro, simmer for 2 minutes, until chicken is done.
- Serve on rice.
Thai Cabbage Salad
- 4 cups shredded napa cabbage, part red cabbage
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced to bite sizes
- 1 small cucumber, seeded, half moon sliced
- 1 cup edamame
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
- Dress with 4 cloves garlic (plus 2 red bird’s eye chili peppers seeded) and 1/4 tsp kosher salt mashed to create paste. 2 tsp light brown sugar, 2 tsp fish sauce, 1 lime of juice (2 tbsp).