About two months ago, I bought a grater, a steaming rack, and a heatproof container to steam in, all specifically to cook this dish. I even had a daikon! Then… I didn’t cook the dish.
Recipe from my mom.
Luo Buo Gao (turnip cake)
- Coarsely grate 1 lb daikon (half of big radish). Simmer in 8 oz chicken broth for 10 minutes to cook off bitterness.
- Stir fry additions, such as 2 chinese sausage, 4-6 shiitake mushroom, ~20 dried small shrimp, 1 scallion.
- Combine 1/2 can chicken broth, 8 oz rice flour (half of red-packaged bag), 1/2 tsp sugar, pinch pepper.
- Combine radish and flour, then add additions. Transfer into greased container (e.g. 7-cup Pyrex).
- Steam for 30-40 minutes, until clean chopstick. Let cool.
- Slice in half-inch slabs. Pan fry. Serve with thick soy sauce, spicy chili sauce.