The signature taste of pad thai’s pan-fried rice noodles is the tamarind. I got it from the Asian supermarket as this big block that expires in two years. It tasted fine?
- Fry 1/3 cup extra firm tofu cut into matchsticks. Set aside.
- Cut 1 lb chicken breast into thin strips. Julienne 1 carrot, 1/2 red bell pepper.
- Prepare 8 oz Thai rice noodles: soak in lukewarm water until flexible but not expanded, about 10 minutes. When in doubt, undersoak.
- Saute 1 shallot minced, 3 cloves garlic minced, white part of 2 scallions minced until fragrant. Mix in 1 tbsp fish sauce, 2 tbsp tamarind paste, 2 tbsp dark brown sugar, 1 tbsp soy sauce, juice of half lime.
- Saute chicken until almost done. Add carrot and bell pepper. Add 2 cups bean sprouts, (1 cup chinese chives).
- Crack 2 eggs into center of wok. When almost set, scramble in noodles, and chicken.
- Serve topped with tofu, green part of 2 scallions sliced, 1/3 cup cilantro chopped, 2 tbsp crushed toasted peanuts, lime wedges.