This Japanese beef bowl is street fast food (from a place called Yoshinoya?). I use Chinese hot pot meat. I may retake this photo once I get the proper toppings. Recipe from justonecookbook.
Gyudon (Japanese beef rice bowl)
- In small pan, boil 1/2 cup dashi (1/4 tsp hondashi in boiling water), 1 tbsp mirin, (1 tsp sake), 1 tbsp soy sauce, 1/2 tbsp sugar.
- Add 1/2 small onion thinly sliced in single layer. Simmer covered on medium for 5 minutes.
- Add 1/2 lb beef ribeye thinly sliced. Cook uncovered until no longer pink and sauce mostly reduced.
- Serve on bowl of rice topped with scallion sliced and pickled red ginger, togarashi (seven spice). Optionally top with 1 onsen tamago.
Recipe from justonecookbook
Onsen Tamago (hot spring egg)
- In small pot, boil 4.25 cups (1000 ml) water. Take off heat, add ~3/4 cup (200 ml) cold tap water. (65-68 C)
- Place in 4 large eggs from refrigerator. Cover and leave for 17 minutes. Take out eggs and set aside for 5 minutes. Garnish with scallions.
- Or serve in 1/4 cup dashi, 1/2 tbsp mirin, 1.5 tbsp soy sauce, 3g katsuobushi