Rumor has it that a little shop in Boston called Mei Mei’s serves this delicious breakfast sandwich made of two poached/fried eggs on a scallion pancake with pesto sauce and cheese. It’s called the “Double Awesome.”
Mei Mei’s Double Awesome
- Prepare a scallion pancake. Make 2 onsen tamago (or poached eggs). Make pesto.
- Fry one side of the scallion pancake. Flip.
- Sprinkle half with 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese to let melt.
- Lightly fry the eggs cracked directly into a pan.
- When pancake and eggs are both fried, place eggs over cheese. Spread pesto over other half. Fold pancake into sandwich. Cut into half.
Update 9/10: With lots help from friends, we updated the scallion pancake recipe with some footnoting about the technique. It’s one of those things where you have to go by feel a bit. Might split the pancake into a different recipe page soon.
- Mix 2 cups flour, 1/2 tsp salt with 3/4 cup warm (not boiling) water. Knead until very elastic, which takes 5-8 minutes.
- Coat the surface of the dough ball with oil. Let rest covered with a damp cloth for 30-40 minutes.
- Finely chop ~4 scallions.
- Divide dough into four quarters. With each:
- Roll out into 8” round. Brush with a thin layer of sesame oil. Tightly roll up into log, then coil log into spiral, tucking the end underneath. Flatten with palm, then re-roll into 8” round.
- Brush with a thin layer of sesame oil. Sprinkle on 1/4 tsp kosher salt. Spread scallions on the periphery, less in the center. Tightly roll up into log, then coil log into spiral, tucking the end underneath. Flatten with palm, then re-roll into 7” round.
- (repeat once more for more even distribution of scallions and more layers?)
- Let rest 15 minutes to overnight before cooking.
- In oiled skillet, fry on medium (not hotter) heat, flipping as necessary, until golden brown on both sides. Cut into wedges with shears.
- Process the leaves of a 2.5 oz TJ’s bunch basil, 1/4 cup pine nuts toasted, 1/2 head garlic.
- While processing, drizzle in 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil.
- Add ~1/2 cup grated parmesan. Salt and pepper to taste.
For reference, 1000 ml boiling water, 200 ml cold water, 4 cold large eggs, 17 minutes covered with heat off. Cool in ice bath.