Poke is basically just a salad with rice and raw fish. Nothing to cook.
Poke (Hawaiian raw fish bowl)
- Cook sushi rice (1/2 cup rice vinegar, 1/4 cup sugar, for 3 cups rice. Mix when warm).
- Add dash of sesame oil and soy sauce to sushi-grade tuna or salmon or other fish cut in cubes.
- Serve on rice with seaweed salad, edamame, shredded daikon, avocado, tobiko (salted fish eggs), furikake, etc.
As a side dish, I cooked my spinach Japanese style, i.e. with soy sauce, sugar, and mirin.
Goma-ae (sesame spinach salad)
- 1-lb bunch spinach, blanch for 1 minute in lightly salted water, stems down.
- Cool under running water. Wring out. Cut to about an inch.
- 1 tbsp Sesame oil, 1 tbsp soy sauce, 2 tsp sugar, .5 tsp mirin, sprinkle of sesame seeds
- Or ground 1 tbsp roasted sesame seeds instead of sesame oil.