I got a cast iron skillet. It sears meat well.
Pork chops from this resource, but with sugar cut down.
Viet Pork Chop
- 2 pork chops, thick cut, bone in. Score sides, pierce all over with fork
- 2 tbsp fish sauce, 1 tbsp rice vinegar, 1 tbsp light brown sugar, 1 small shallot minced, 1/2 tsp pepper
- Marinate 20 min room-temp or overnight in fridge
- Scrape off excess marinade and boil 4 minute to make sauce
- Cook pork in oil about 4 minutes per side. Rest 10 minutes.
Daikon is easy to julienne (cut into matchstick-size strips). Carrots? Non-trivial.
Pickled Carrots and Daikon
- ½ lb carrots, ½ lb daikon julienned
- 3 tbsp sugar, 2 tbsp salt, ⅓ cup (rice or white) vinegar, 4 cups warm water
- Pickle for 3 days in fridge.