I should really stop cooking dishes that I’ve never really eaten before.
Dahi Baingan (Yogurt Eggplant)
- 1 big eggplant, cut into quarter-inch-thick semicircles. Season with 1 tsp salt.
- In large flat pan, heat 3 tbsp oil. Add 1/2 tsp cumin seeds. When they crack, add 1/8 tsp asafetida (or onion/garlic powder), 1/4-in of ginger slices.
- Spread eggplant out evenly. Cover pan, cook on med 2-3 minutes. Flip eggplant, then cook 2-3 minutes.
- Add 2 tsp coriander powder, 1 tsp fennel seeds crushed, 1 tsp red chili, 1/8 tsp turmeric. Coat eggplant.
- Add 1 cup yogurt with 2 tsp gram flour and 1/4 cup cilantro chopped.